Sunday, February 24, 2008

Give me liberty or give me sothing else!

In this case it was a trip to Richmond, VA with a couple of our friends from our church. We drove down on Saturday morning and went straight downtown so see the sites. After a quick visit to the visitor's center we proceeded to search every nook and cranny of downtown Richmond for a parking space. As it turns out 90% of the city is under construction but with the help of our maps we were finally able to track down a space and take to the streets. Here are some of the highlights of the trip.

Michelle and Rachel looking small in comparison to the capital building. Our hats of to T.J. for designing such a large building.


Rachel and I standing outside of "The Egyptian Building." New Ratto family claim to fame that we are the first Ratto to ever lay eyes of this exquisite edifice. Check it out next time you are in the area.


St. John's church were Patrick Henry gave his famous give me liberty or give me death speech.


Ah...yes, nothing like taking a rest on a stately park bench outside of the old white house of the confederacy. Jefferson Davis was not taking visitors.

Just look how happy Michelle is next to the grave of Edgar Allen Poe's mother.

Needless to say we did not pay to go into the church when we found out that if you come for a reenactment during the summer the whole thing is free. Plus any excuse to come mingle with some period characters is simply to much to pass up. We also resisted the urge to go to the Edgar Allen Poe museum though I think that I am starting to want to next time we go down.

We enjoyed a pretty relaxing trip for the rest of the weekend and it was nice to get out of out apartment for a while. Jenny Roane's grandmother kept us well fed and we enjoyed some shopping the next day. Some good clothes and toys for Rachel and discount prices (more on that a couple posts from now) and some dessert cups for Michelle since we have been lacking in inspiration to make desserts recently...or something like that.

Rachel is still cute and we are still alive so there are no complaints from me. Until next week.


1 comment:

ChristyLou said...

You guys crack me up...You live in DC with some of the most incredible site-seeing in the world and instead you drive an hour and a half (or is it less?) to Richmond!! I love you guys, that's awesome. I guess I shouldn't talk since we still haven't seen hardly any sites here in Nashville. I'm just impressed that you went at all. We have a hard time going anywhere because I'm still paranoid about Cambri's naps. I need to get over that! It looks like it was a really fun trip and the pics were awesome. Any time you feel like checking out the Country Music Hall of Fame or an awesome Civil War hospital, among other things (like us!), just head our way!